|The layout in the eighteen hundreds|
The walls enclosing the mission grounds contain living quarters in their 15 foot width. In the 1930s todays walls were erected on the original wall's foundation with a few inaccuracies. The original walls were limestone, but in 1930 cheaper sandstone was the stone of choice.
|Gunports above, canon below.|
|Another mistake, there was no dome on the gun positions. |
The roof would have been open to allow sound and gun smoke to escape.
|Apartments line the mission walls|
|Each apartment consisted of two rooms for one family|
The original limestone church is still a functioning Catholic Church with services on Saturday and Sunday
In 1950 this wall was painted to show the church would have looked in the 1800s. How did they know? A painting from the 1800s reveals the original facade.
|The Rose window.|
|A very tall chapel door.|
The church's insipid exterior contrasts sharply with a beautifully restored interior