Parque Natural Mexiquillo

7.22.2015

On the Road Again, Almost

The Story So Far

Deserted by Coach-Net roadside service.

On Friday the infamous problematic workhorse auto parking brake failed to release.  Checked around town and found that Black Cat could look at it. Called Coach-Net to request a tow. They called Black Cat who said that there was no need to tow me, they would send a mechanic to me. They did and he could not repair the brake. Called Coach-Net back and a nice lady told me that they would check into a shop that could do the repairs and arrange for a tow. It was late afternoon and all this would happen Monday. Checking in Monday and was told I would have to pay for the tow. Why? They only make one covered response per incidence, and that was the call to Black Cat. So even though they had not towed me anywhere, I had used my one call. I was hung out to dry on a technicality.

Plan B
I found a shop in Nanaimo, Burk’s Intertruck, that works on Workhorse chassis. I disabled the parking brake by cutting the cable that engages it. This means that I have to put my levelers down to prevent Serenity from rolling when parked.
Ace mechanic Dave at Burk’s Intertruck found that the pressure switch on the booster was leaking. I had a spare and repairs were completed in an hour and half. 

Leaking, badly engineered, failure prone, pressure switch.

The cable I cut has to be ordered and hopefully will be here tomorrow and I will be back on the road.

Well, the cable that arrived this morning was not the one for Serenity . Again, hopefully, the correct one will be here tomorrow afternoon. I had them order two so I will have a replacement on hand if I have to cut the cable again. These pressure switches are such a problem that prudent Trek owners carry spares. 

Top mechanic Dave has me covered.


No comments:

Post a Comment