Lewis and Clark camped here again upon their return journey, July 3, 1806. journal
Of the hundreds of camps the Corps made on their journey, this is the only location we know for sure they camped at.
One of three fire hearths
The latrine provided the final piece of evidence that the Corps of Discovery camped here
Clark used two common treatments for the men's aliments. Bleeding and Dr. Benjamin Rush's Bilious Pills, commonly called "Rush's Thunderbolts." They were a powerful laxative containing mercurous chloride. They caused severe diarrhea in a matter of minutes.
Traces of mercury vapor were detected in the excavated latrine, July 2002.
How Traveler's Rest may have appeared in 1805. Photo taken 1890
Lolo Creek today.