Parque Natural Mexiquillo

10.22.2012

Very Interesting Rocks



Kasha-Katuwe means white cliffs in the Cochiti tribe's Language. (35.66271, -106.406)









  
Fellow Boomers (l-r) John, Connie, me, Dave & Vicki heading out 

John, Dave and I are headed up to that point. The ladies are opting for a less strenuous hike.



The exposed roots show how deep the canyon has eroded since this pine tree started to grow.



7 million years ago at least 20 volcanos erupted repeatedly laying down all these layer ash, now call Tuff.









This consolidated rock in called Breccia. 


The shape of these Hoodoos is the result of a harder cap-stone protecting the softer rock below it. Here to cap stones are very small resulting in the tent shape.




Different size material in the layers is the result of the amount of energy in the flow at the time of deposit. Higher energy flows deposited larger rocks and lower energy flows smaller material







This is the canyon we just climbed up through

Topping out. The gold band right above my hat is the fall color along the Rio Grand river

















The parking lot is the horizontal brown line at top center.
A good hike with great people.











1 comment:

  1. Looks like a good hike but the pictures are great! I would love you to email them to me - I want to print and frame the one looking through the rock to the pine tree. I love, love, love that one!! me ;-)

    ReplyDelete